Chicken Rendang. Chicken rendang is slow cooked and stewed in the rendang sauce and my chicken rendang recipe yields flavorful and tender chicken, with complex structure of flavors, with the intense aroma of the exotic spices. I love making chicken rendang at home. While it takes some time to prep and make the dish, the end result is so rewarding.
Transfer the rendang paste to the pan with some cooking oil. Saute over low heat until it turns aromatic. It will take some time because we have added some water to blend the spices. You can have Chicken Rendang using 18 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Rendang
- Prepare 1 of whole chicken (cut into pieces).
- Prepare of SPICE PASTE:.
- Prepare 12 of shallots.
- You need 4 of garlics.
- Prepare 2 cm of ginger.
- You need 2 cm of galangal.
- Prepare 2 cm of turmeric (1 tsp turmeric powder).
- You need 2 tsp of coriander seed.
- It's 5 of red chillies.
- It's 1 tsp of palm sugar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- You need of OTHER:.
- You need 4 of kaffir lime leaves (tear).
- You need 2 of lemongrass (white part only).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of tamarind (remove seed).
- Prepare 1 cup of coconut milk (250 ml).
- You need 1 cup of water.
- Prepare of Cooking oil.
The chicken rendang would be succulent and tender. What to serve with chicken rendang. Serve this with Nasi Lemak, the popular Malaysian dish, white rice or noodles. Other dishes which would pair well with rendang are acar awak, fish in asam curry and teh tarik.
Chicken Rendang instructions
- Use food processor or blender to blend all the spice paste ingredients into a fine paste..
- Heat oil and fry the spice paste until fragrant..
- Add coconut milk and water. Mix well..
- Add kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass and tamarind..
- Add chicken, adjust the heat down (simmer), keep stirring and cook the chicken until it is tender (min. 30 minutes). Ready to serve..
Rendang is a popular cuisine in many Southeast Asia countries. This traditional dish is usually served on special occasions. Chicken meat is cooked in mix ground paste of chilies, spices; along with coconut milk and toasted coconut (Kerisik). Other types of meat such as beef or mutton can be used for this recipe. Tips: Blend all rendang paste ingredients until fine, set aside.Category: Recipe