Meat Rendang. Marinated with Choice or higher grade US Beef Rib Eye sliced meat. Rendang is a rich and tender coconut beef stew which is explosively flavorful and beef rendang is the most popular rendang. Called "rendang daging" in local language, it's arguably the most famous beef recipe in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore.
Rendang is a piece of meat — most commonly beef (rendang daging) — that has been slow cooked and braised in a coconut milk and spice mixture, well until the liquids evaporate and the meat turns. Beef Rendang is one of our favourite curry recipes. Fragrant and rich, Rendang is made using beef and coconut to give it a fantastic sweet, salty and umami flavour. You can have Meat Rendang using 24 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Meat Rendang
- You need of A. 1.8 kg Meat - sliced or cubed.
- Prepare of B. Toasted Coconut Paste @ Kerisik.
- Prepare 2 C (175 g) of fine desiccated coconut.
- You need of C. Blended Paste.
- It's 1 of large brown onion.
- It's 1/2 of large red onion.
- You need 6 of garlic.
- It's 1/2 C of sliced lemon grass (use white part).
- You need 1/4 C of candlenuts.
- You need 4 inches of galangal - sliced.
- It's 2 inches of ginger - sliced.
- You need of D. Other spices.
- You need 3 tbsp of chili paste.
- Prepare 2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- It's 2 tsp of cumin powder.
- You need 2 tsp of fennel powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of coriander powder.
- It's 1 of small piece/slice of tamarind peel.
- It's of E. Seasoning.
- Prepare 1 Can of Coconut Cream (Ayam Brand).
- Prepare 1-2 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 2 tsp of chicken seasoning powder (we use Knorr).
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- It's 3-4 tbsp of thinly sliced young turmeric leaves.
Beef Rendang is a Malaysian curry and is considered by many to be the king of all curries! To say it's extravagantly delicious is an understatement. There are very few curries in this world with such amazingly complex flavours. Originally from Indonesia though now more well known as a Malaysia curry, the sauce is made with aromatic spices like cinnamon, cardamom and.
Meat Rendang instructions
- A - Slice or cube meat and wash in hot water for few minutes. Keep aside. B - Toast finely desiccated coconut in a wok (without oil) over medium heat until it turns golden brown. This toasted coconut is then pounded until it turns into oily brown paste. Another alternative is to blend this toasted coconut into a very creamy paste..
- Next, blend ingredients in C with 1/4 C of water. Keep aside. Prepare the rest of the ingredients. For chili paste, use store bought or soak few cups of deseeded dried chillies in hot water until soft. Blend into a very fine paste. Use 2-3 tablespoons for this recipe. Refrigerate the rest of the paste for other dishes/recipes. Next, thinly slice young turmeric leaves. Keep aside..
- Cooking the rendang - in a big wok, heat up a cup of cooking oil. Add in C (blended paste) and cook for few minutes until translucent and aromatic. Add D (other spices) and keep stirring for 5 minutes..
- Add A (sliced meat). Stir well. Cover for few minutes. Remove the lid. Season with sugar, chicken seasoning powder and salt. Put the lid on and leave covered for few minutes. Add coconut milk. Leave to cook until little liquid left and meat is tender. Add sliced turmeric leaves and B (toasted coconut paste). Stir to make sure everything is well-mixed. Remove from the heat and serve with sticky rice or steamed rice..
A tip on making Beef Rendang is to use a mortar and pestle to grind the spices, if you could find one. It takes longer to use mortar & pestle, but you can taste the difference when you use a food processor. Also, palm sugar is preferred to white sugar. Otherwise, the recipe is quite authentic.. Beef rendang is carefully stirred, simmered and cooked for three to four hours until the coconut milk has totally evaporated and the meat has absorbed the flavor of the herbs and spices.Category: Recipe