Thai Massaman Curry. Check Out Top Brands On eBay. Try this homemade Thai Massaman curry, which is made entirely from scratch. This famous Thai curry is rich and very flavorful.
It was born from Indian and Malay influences and as a result, the main flavours comes from spices typically associated with Indian curries. Spices such as: cumin, coriander, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom. Thai massaman curry is a a creamy, mildly spicy and nutty curry influenced by Indian, Malaysian, and Persian cuisines often served in Thai restaurants. You can have Thai Massaman Curry using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Thai Massaman Curry
- Prepare 350 g of Chicken Meat (cut into pieces).
- You need 300 g of Potatoes (diced).
- Prepare 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Tamarind Paste (soaked in 1/2 cup warm water).
- You need 1 cup of Coconut Milk.
- Prepare 1-2 Tbsp of Palm Sugar.
- Prepare of [Marinade].
- You need 2 pinches of Salt (or more).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of White Pepper (or more).
- You need of [Massaman Spice Mix] - ground well.
- Prepare 1 pc of Cinnamon Stick.
- It's 5 pc of Cardamom Pods.
- You need 5 pc of Cloves.
- You need 5 pc of Black peppercorns.
- It's 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- Prepare of [Curry Paste] - processed in a blender.
- It's 30 g of Red Chillies (deseed).
- Prepare 30 g of Green Chillies (deseed).
- You need 40 g of Garlic.
- Prepare 40 g of Shallots.
- Prepare 20 g of Finger.
- It's 20 g of Galangal.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Shrimp Paste.
A creamy, nutty Thai curry made with chicken, potatoes and cashews in a mouth watering sauce #ministryofcurry #thaicurry Massaman curry is a unique type of curry amongst the various Thai curries because it is more like an Indian curry using mainly dried spices for seasoning. Chicken is the most popular meat in this curry in the West but beef, lamb or even mutton is more common in Thailand. Thai massaman curry is an adaptation of Malaysian & Indian curries incorporating potatoes, cumin, and coriander prevalent in those cuisines. The southern border of Thailand (formerly Siam) with Malaysia has changed hands a few times.
Thai Massaman Curry step by step
- MARINADE; season the Chicken with Salt and Pepper and set aside for 30 minutes or more..
- CHICKEN: heat 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil until hot. Sauté the Spice Mix for 1 minute. Then add the Chicken and coat well. Cook the Chicken until brown all over..
- PASTE & POTATOES: add the Curry Paste and Potatoes. Mix well and cook until the oil separates..
- LIQUIDS: then add in the Coconut Milk, Tamarind Juice, Palm Sugar and mix well. Bring it to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring the bottom occasionally..
- FINISH: after 10 minutes, remove the lid, and continue to cook until the gravy thickens. Garnish with Fresh Coriander Leaves and serve with rice..
Massaman Curry (gaeng matsaman - ?????) is a Southern Thai curry which has a lot of Indian influence. Massaman is an old way of saying "Muslim", for many of the dry spices were carried to Thailand by early Muslim traders. Like Indian curries, this curry is heavy on dry spices and very aromatic. Massaman curry is a southern Thai curry. It's commonly made with beef, coconut milk, potatoes and peanuts.Category: Recipe