Indonesian Vegetables pickle - Acar. Acar - Indonesian pickle with cucumber, carrot, shallot, and red chilies. Acar is the most popular Indonesian pickle. We serve this as a side dish to accompany nasi goreng (Indonesian fried rice), mi goreng (Indonesian stir-fried noodles), sate/satay, martabak, and soto.
Acar is sort of versatile, Indonesian version of Branston pickle. Like Branston it's made from chopped vegetables, including carrots and onions, pickled in vinegar sweetened with sugar, and zhooshed up with spices. The difference is that it is served as a side dish, and is eaten with just about any main. You can cook Indonesian Vegetables pickle - Acar using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Indonesian Vegetables pickle - Acar
- You need 2 of Carrots - cut into little square.
- It's 1 of cucumber - take the core out (we only use the flesh), cut into little square.
- It's 1/4 of white cabbage - slice thinly, dont use the core.
- It's 3 of shallots, slices thinly.
- Prepare 20 of thai chillies - slice some thinly, (omit if you dont like spicy).
- You need 200 ml of hot water.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of himalayan salt (add when need it).
- You need 2 tbsp of distilled Vinegar (mine's brand is: Dixi, this has 25% acidity, adjust the amount based on your acidity).
- It's 2 tbsp of lemon/lime juice.
Acar Ketimun Recipe (Indonesian Pickled Cucumbers) Why You Should Try Acar Timun: Atjar or Acar is a type of pickle made with fresh cucumber, carrots, fresh green chilies, shallots and seasoned with white vinegar, salt, and sugar. Acar is a type of vegetable pickle of Maritime Southeast Asia, most prevalent in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. It is a localised version of Indian achaar. It is known as atjar in Dutch cuisine, derived from Indonesian acar.
Indonesian Vegetables pickle - Acar step by step
- Cut all vegetable as instructed.
- Mix hot water with vinegar, lemon/lime, sugar and salt until all dillute. taste it to your liking.
- Mix the vegetables with the liquid. leave it in fridge at least a day, so the taste soak into the acar. Make sure you used clean utensil, and close tight..
Acar is usually prepared in bulk as it may easily be stored in a well-sealed glass jar in refrigerator for a week, and served as the condiment for any meals. Acar Ketimun (Indonesian pickled cucumber) is simple, delicious and easy to make side dish. The sweet and sour taste of Acar Ketimun is a perfect companion to lots of spicy and oily Indonesian fish, meat and vegetable dishes. Pickling vegetables to extent their shelf life has been around for quite some time. Think about it, your typical cucumber pickle is only found in burgers and some sandwiches, but in Indonesia, acar is served as condiment in a variety of dishes from nasi goreng (Indonesian fried rice), satays, soups such as sop buntut (oxtail soup), sop kaki kambing (mutton soup) and soto ayam (chicken soup) to Chinese Indonesian dishes.Category: Recipe